Courses‎ > ‎

Undergraduate Advising FAQ

Spring 2017 Information!
  • Junior Group Advising - Thursday 4/13/2017, 11:45am, LS G12
  • Theory Courses - CS 486 - Special Topics: Cryptography*
  • Applications Courses - CS 333 - Intro to Database Systems, CS 486 - Special Topics: Cryptography*
*If Cryptography is used as the Theory course it may not be used for Applications and vice versa.

I have an advising hold. Can you remove it?

You must have an in-person advising appointment before your hold will be removed.

Where do I sign up for an advising appointment?

Signup sheets are posted outside of HR 545.

Do I have to see an advisor?

If you are a CS major who is a Freshman or Sophomore based on number of credits completed then you must see an advisor in person in order to have your advising hold removed. Please do not email your advisor and ask him/her to remove your hold without an appointment. The advising hold exists to make sure that you are on track with your degree requirements and your advisor will want to meet with you in person to discuss your progress.

What about group advising?

There will be frosh/soph group advising sessions that you may attend if you did not attend a group advising session in the previous semester. If, for example, you attended group advising in Fall 2016 then you will be required to have a 1-1 advising appointment for Spring 2017. Sign up for group advising outside of HR 545.

I am a junior. Do have I have to be advised (or, may I sign up for advising)?

If your status is junior or greater then you will not have an advising hold. You may skip advising, however you are encouraged to either meet with your advisor 1-1 or to attend the Junior Group Advising Session. During this session we will discuss course options as well as other things you should be thinking about at this point in your career for example internships, job search, grad school, and how to ask for a reference.

Which courses fulfill the Applications requirement?

Any 300- or 400-level course except directed study may be used to fulfill the Computer Science Applications requirement. 

Does a Theory and Languages course fulfill the Applications requirement?

Each 300- or 400-level course may only fulfill one requirement. If a student completes a total of two courses from the Theory and Languages category then one of the two may be used to fulfill the Applications requirement. 

How should I prepare for my advising session?
  1. Carefully review either the Course Plans - Declaration of Major Fall 2016 or Later  or Course Plans - Declaration of Major Before Fall 2016.
  2. Fill out (or update) and share with your advisor the following Course Plan.
  3. Review the class schedule and select any non-CS classes you plan to take. Make sure to think about completing your core requirements early (so you have time for extra CS classes later!). In particular, if you have not completed your RHET requirement you should plan to take a RHET class. Also keep in mind that you must complete two semesters of a foreign language.
  4. If you are considering a minor, plan to take a class in that field so that you know whether or not you'll want to pursue it. 
  5. If you plan to study abroad think about how that will alter your course plan. If you are on track with the major you will be able to easily go abroad for a semester or even a year. Keep in mind that you will not be able to complete any of your major requirements while abroad, so plan to complete cores or minor requirements during that time.
I am a minor. Do I need to be advised?

If you are CS minor you are encouraged to make an advising appointment, though you will need to see your major advisor to have any advising holds removed. As a reminder, you must complete five CS courses to complete the minor in CS. The requirements are here: CS Minor Requirements and we have prepared a document that outlines several possible Minor Course Plans.

I am unable to register for CS 110 because of a prerequisite error.

The prerequisites for CS 110 have changed. The course now requires CS 107 as a prerequisite, or Math 109 as a co-requisite. 

Can I take CS 110 if I need to complete Math 108?

If you are a CS major make sure you have taken the Calculus Readiness Test. If you place into Math 108 you must first complete Math 108 and then register for Math 109 and CS 110 in the following semester. If you are a CS minor, you must first complete CS 107. Once you have completed CS 107 you will be eligible to take CS 110.

I just want to take CS for my CORE requirement. Can I do that?

Yes, you may take CS 107 to fulfill your core B-1 requirement. 

CS 107 is full. How can I get in?

Unfortunately, we only offer a fixed number of sections of CS 107 each semester. If you are unable to get into the class you may attend lecture on the first day to see if any seats have opened. If not, you may need to wait to take it in a future semester.

I am a CS major and one of the required CS classes is full.

Add yourself to the class wait list and make sure to attend class on the first day. We will do our best to get you in. You may also speak with an advisor about whether a delay in taking the course will impact your course plan and graduation date. Many classes (for example, CS 212) may be postponed without affecting your graduation timeline.

How do I add myself to a wait list?

To successfully add to a waitlist, you need to go to the Drop and Add Classes link, not the Look Up and Register for Classes link in Banner.  You need to have the CRN ready to enter in the boxes at the bottom.  When you submit the CRN, the class should show closed, and next to the class should be a little triangle to click into to get a drop-down menu.  Choose wait-list and submit.

I think there isn’t a wait list set up for the class I am trying to get into.

First, double check by following the instructions for adding to the wait list above. If you are absolutely certain that there is no wait list for a closed class, email the instructor or department chair.

I hear the CS major requirements changed.

Yes, beginning in Fall 2016 the requirements of the CS major changed. Students declaring the major after Spring 2016 must follow the new requirements. The new major requires Math 109 - Calculus I, and provides more options for the CS Laboratory Science.

Can I complete the new major rather than the old major?

Yes, you may choose to complete the new major rather than the old major. You will need to add Math 109 to your course plan, but you may choose from the following lab science courses: BIOL 103, 105, or 106; CHEM 106, 110, 111, or 113; ENVS 100 or 110; or PHYS 100, 101, 110, or 210.

Can I take a lab science other than BIOL 105/106, CHEM 111, or PHYS 110? 

If you are completing the old major then no. You must complete one of these courses. 

Can I complete one of the lab science courses specified by the new major and not take calculus?


I am a transfer student and took a core B2 class elsewhere, does it count?

If it appears on your transcript as BIOL 105, CHEM 111, or PHYS 110 then yes. If not, then it probably will not count as your CS Lab Science course. If you completed a course at another university and that course had a laboratory component and was a required course for a science (B.S.) major that is not offered at USF you may ask your advisor whether it may fulfill the requirement. Exceptions to the CS Lab Science requirement are rare.